Thursday 8 November 2007

The Numbers Game

Dear Readers,

No I am not going to talk to you about how great sudoku is or give you tips on how to clock your puzzles!!

Right now we cleared that misconception up - we can continue.

For many years - particularly when I was a kid growing up - I wondered what number I could count to. Now I know you are probably thinking I am sad, but stay with me on this one.

Counting to ten, a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, and a hundred thousand was easy enough but then it started getting really boring!
But do you know what I did? I fought the boredom barrier and got through to the promiseland - thats right - i hit the magic million!!

Problem was I realised then that i didnt know when the next magic point was - did i have to get to 10 'million' before we are dealing in something other than millions? Or was it one hundred million? Was it one thousand million? Or heaven forbid it was a million bleedin million because that would take bloody long to count - you may have gathered I had litle to no life back then but goodness gracious - a million bloody million!!!

So do you know what I did? I gave up and forgot about it- forgot all about it - till today at least!!

Still thankfully we got wikpedia these days so I managed to get the answer to the question I have wanted for many years. No no not the one about the 'meaning of life' but the next best thing! Jeez - wikpedia is good but it aint thaaat good!!

So anyway - the answer to the question I along with no doubt millions or billions (depending on which view you subscribe to) want the answer to!

Here it is: You can call 1,000 million a billion if you want to or you can a million million (1,000,000,000,000) a billion if you want and that in England it was common for a million million to be called a billion but these days it is more common for just a thousand million to be called a billion.

Now I know you are all grinning ear to ear with the thirst for that piece of knowledge quenched at last and are probably also wondering 'hmm so what is a trillion then?'

I couldnt bring myself to wikpedia it today - I figured to save the excitement for another day - to let the numbers game become a regular thing.

I hope you have enjoyed this spoonful of education.

Peace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you really counted to a million :-P

Btw, a trillion is... naaah, I won't spoil the excitement for you heh ;-)

Mustafa said...

no not literally but i did by jumping numbers - doesnt really count then i suppose?

Have i just destroyed all credibility? :)
I'm guessing I did that when i claimed to have counted to a million :))