Tuesday 11 August 2009

quality of habits

Readers,

The last couple of months i have found myself reflecting on the quality of how i carry out my habits rather than be pleased that i am merely routinely carrying them out.
I have come to find that while i am generally happy, I want to add three small habits to help improve the quality of my prayers.

i) When at home - have a separate item of clothing to change into which is kept only for praying. It takes 2 minutes to change my clothes before praying but it is guaranteed to help concentration in prayer because you have mentally taken a much more positive approach to the etiquette and importance of the task that is about to be performed. When at work, at least make the effort to roll my sleeves back down and do the buttons so that my arms are not exposed and i am dressed smartly.

ii) Apply a little perfume before the prayer.

iii) As a shi'ite, i believe it is recommended to wear a ring when praying so keep a ring inside the prayer mat at home and make the effort to put my ring back on my finger after wudhu at work.

I believe these three simple things will help me focus better on the gravity and importance of prayer and provide the platform for me to perform them in a manner which it should be performed in.

As always, the challenge is for 10 days after which time i try to add another one.

Peace

No comments: